By downloading any of the plays below, you hereby acknowledge that Craig Houk is the sole owner of all rights in and to these plays. None of these plays may be produced or reproduced in whole or in part unless written application is made to and written authorization is received from Craig Houk.
Carly Weekes is a witch. And so too are her older sisters, Lolly and Shirley. Determined to find Carly a mate, the three cast a circle to summon a popular recording artist from Colorado named Joe Rekowski. During the incantation, however, Shirley, critical of Carly’s witching abilities, hijacks the proceedings and casts a dubious and possibly deadly spell. Worried that Carly and her intending husband & offspring might now be cursed, Lolly endeavors to reverse the hex, but fails dramatically, resulting in her expulsion to an alternate world. Years later, twin sisters Tina and Rose Pacheco mysteriously drown. And though the case goes cold, many believe that Carly’s oldest son, Johnny, may have had something to do with their deaths. COLD RAIN is an account of a family bound by black magic; a dark and sometimes comical tale of ill-conceived machinations, misdirected resentment, and repressed desire.
- Cold Rain received a public reading of Act 1 at Studio 1469 On May 8, 2017, featuring Laureen Smith as Carly Weekes-Rekowski, Mindy Shaw as Lolly Weekes, Sue Schaffel as Shirley Weekes, Grant Collins as Bryson Rekowski, Devin Horne as Fisher Hickman, Adrian Jesus Iglesias as Johnny Rekowski, Nerissa Hart as Donna Pagnotto, and Andrew Filicicchia as Joe Rekowski. The piece was directed by Craig Houk. Washington, DC
- Cold Rain received it's world premiere production as part of the 2018 DC Capital Fringe Festival (Jul 14 - 28). Winning Best Drama of the Festival (Audience Choice) and named one of DC Metro Theater Arts' 2018 'Best of Capital Fringe', Cold Rain featured Desiree Chapelle as Carly Weekes-Rekowski, Elle Emerson as Lolly Weekes, Maura Claire Harford as Shirley Weekes, Grant Collins as Bryson Rekowski, Thomas Shuman as Fisher Hickman, Will Low as Johnny Rekowski, Stephanie Jo Clark as Donna Pagnotto, Blake Gouhari as Joe Rekowski, and Lydia Kraniotis as Lydia Pacheco. The piece was directed by Craig Houk. Washington, DC
PRONE is an account of the tumultuous relationship between two lovers with starkly contrasting childhoods; one who grew up in an environment of inconceivable support and praise and one who grew up in an environment of intense abuse and neglect. Ben, a struggling actor with no financial or emotional resources available to draw upon, finds himself trapped in a seemingly loveless relationship with Alan, an affluent and calculating man with a mysterious profession and an even more mysterious friend, David. When Ben reaches his breaking point, he calls upon his colorfully wicked friend, Anne, to assist him in hiring a hit man to eliminate Alan. Caught in the middle of all this chaos is Alan’s sister, Sarah, an emotionally wrecked individual whose addiction to prescription medications might likely be the cause of her wild imaginations and, later, an ill-fated deed. Rounding out this bizarre cast of characters is Ed, the man hired to take Alan out. Alliances shift as the plot progresses and not until the astonishing finale do we ever really discover who has the upper hand.
- Prone received a public staged reading at the Eastern Point Lit House on Saturday, September 6th, 2014. The cast featured Preston Graveline as Ben, Eileen Little as Sarah, Michael Underhill as Alan, Kiki Samko as Anne, Kevin O. Peterson as David and David Afflick as Ed. The piece was directed by Craig Houk. Gloucester, MA
- Prone received a public staged reading at the Charlestown Working Theater on Friday, April 17th, 2015, presented by Darren Evans and Theatre on Fire. The cast featured Ron Lacey as Ben, Eileen Little as Sarah, Marek Krawczyk as Alan, Nadia de Lemeny as Anne, David Afflick as David, & Harry Phan as Ed. The piece was directed by Barlow Adamson. Boston, MA
On June 11, 2007, Larry Craig, then Republican United States Senator from Idaho, was arrested on suspicion of lewd conduct in the men’s restroom at the Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport. A Fairly Wide Stance is loosely (and not so loosely) based on that event and related events. In this short play, I imagine the Senator as a man who plays fast and loose with the truth and with reality (sound familiar?), as does his wife and adoptive mother & father. The results are alternatingly hysterical and a bit frightening. Rounding out the cast is the rugged police officer who exposes the details of what lead up to the Senator’s arrest and a gregarious gay man who uses his public encounter with the Senator as an opportunity to find a husband.
Solitaire Six Pack is a collection of ½ dozen short solo plays that detail the lives of a variety of society’s deviants, misfits and social outcasts. Exploring the themes of loneliness and of purpose, each piece is a celebration of queerness and of individuals who have risen above stereotypes to tackle adversity head on and to survive in their own way.
- All six pieces received a staged reading with Ubiquity Stage on Feb 8, 2000, featuring Craig Houk in all six roles. (Boston, MA)
- All six pieces received a workshop performance with The Actors Center on Aug 15, 2000, featuring Craig Houk in all six roles. (S. Boston, MA)
- All six pieces received a workshop performance with the Bailiwick Repertory Theatre on Sep 19, 20, 26 & 27, 2000 featuring Craig Houk in all six roles. (Chicago, IL)
- All six pieces received a staged reading with the Arlington Center for the Arts as part of their Festival of New Works on Nov 3 & 4, 2000 featuring Craig Houk in all six roles. (Arlington, MA)
- All six pieces received their world premiere performance with Ubiquity Stage, May 3 – May 12, 2001, featuring Craig Houk in all six roles. (Boston, MA)
- Porn Star received a performance with Heart & Dagger Productions as part of their SUCH TIMES: A Sex Fest of Original Work, Mar 7 – Mar 9, 2013, featuring Noah Tobin. (Boston, MA)
- Porn Star received a performance with The Klunch as part of their Mucho Kluncho Talent Show, Sep 23, 2017, featuring Craig Houk. (Washington, DC)
Click on any of the buttons below to view the draft script.
Copyright 2014 Craig Houk | All Rights Reserved